Lots of people pay attention only to Google as the largest search engine in the internet world, but ignore other search engines like Bing, which also take a large share in the search field and bring a large number of visitors to the website. In this tutorial, I will show you how to optimize your site for the Bing search engine by using Bing Webmaster Tools for improve WordPress SEO.
About Bing Webmaster Tools
Bing Webmaster Tools Created by Microsoft Inc. in 2009, Bing Webmaster Tools is a free service that contains many useful tools to support webmasters managing their websites in Bing search engies. Some of the typical ones are listed below:
- Crawl issues allows users to find potential problems with your site.
- Site Map / Sitemap gives users the ability to check if Bing indexes your sitemap properly.
- Outbound Links displays Bing outbound links.
- Robost.txt allows the user to check whether this file meets the standards or not.
Get started with Bing Webmaster Tools
In order to drive traffic from Bing search engines, the first thing you need to do is submit submissions to the service » Submit bing. After you login using your account, you can see the screenshot below, where you can enter your website URL or add a sitemap.
After you submit your site to this service, the Bing search engine will crawl your site and index your content, thereby getting organic traffic from the Bing search engine.
Then, Bing asks you to authenticate your site, which helps build your site easily and efficiently. By default, it offers 3 verification options:
- XML: You can download a file called BingsiteAuth.xml and place it in the root directory of your site.
- Meta Tags: You can take the offered line of code and insert it into a section of your site.
- DNS: this option requires more technical knowledge than the above options. you need to add a CNAME record with the name offered verify.bing.com
You can freely choose one of the three options above, and then click the Verification button at the bottom. When finished, you can click on the name of your site and will be directed to the dashboard, which displays your site’s activity.
Bing Webmaster Tools configuration displays the items you can configure for your site. Click on the sub-tab and you can get more detailed data and change specific sections.
- Sitemaps: here you can submit a new sitemap of your site, showing the layout of your site to Bing.
- Submit URL: If you want a particular page to be indexed quickly, you can take advantage of this feature to submit its URL. You can enter 10 URLs per day and 50 per month. Read this tutorial to learn about detailed steps.
- Ignore parameters: You can use this feature to avoid duplicate content. However, it is not necessary if you use canonical tags in your website.
- Index control: As fast crawling can slow down the speed of your site, you can determine the timing and rate of how Bing crawls your site.
- URL block: helps you to remove pages / posts from Bing’s index.
Report & Data
Bing Webmaster Tools dataAfter confirming your site, you can check the results by viewing the reports and data.
- Page traffic – this will display traffic data about your site.
- SEO Report – here you can get SEO advice for your site.
- Index Explorer – it will display the number of URLs, pages, categories indexed by the Bing search engine.
Diagnostics & Tools
In this section, Bing offers some useful tools for you to use. For example, BingBot gives you the ability to see how your site appears on Bing, an SEO analyzer provides some SEO suggestions for each page, and so on.