Creating a Download Website in WordPress with Simple Download Monitor – Are you looking to create a website to share files and allow your visitors to download them? then using the WordPress platform can be the best alternative for you. Because WordPress has advantages in addition SEO It also has a wide variety of plugins that you can use to add features and functionality to WordPress such as the ability to turn WordPress into a download site.
Or maybe you are a blogger who wants to share free ebooks or various types of files such as videos, music, pdf and others to your visitors, so to make it easier to manage or manage the download files that you share you can use a plugin called Simple Download Monitor.
What is Simple Download Manager?
Simple Download Monitor is a free plugin that allows you to easily and quickly manage downloadable files on your WordPress site. In addition you can monitor all digital files and see a report on the number of times the file has been downloaded by your visitors. The plugin also has a very user-friendly interface for uploading, managing, monitoring and tracking file downloads.
In addition, the Simple Download Monitor plugin also has a feature to protect files and documents where only registered visitors can download the file, so visitors must log in first before downloading the file.
With this plugin you can also configure downloadable files from the WordPress admin dashboard which has an elegant user interface. The plugin will log the IP address of the user who downloaded your digital files and documents. The plugin will also record the date and time each of your files was downloaded.
Simple Download Monitor feature
Even though this plugin is simple, it has lots of cool features that are complete for creating downloadable websites. Here are some of the features of the simple download monitor plugin that you will get:
- Add, edit and delete downloads is very easy.
- Drag and drop files and upload documents.
- Add categories and tags to downloadable files and documents.
- Easy editor to edit downloaded item descriptions.
- Use a shortcode to display a download now button on a WordPress post or page.
- Featuring a trackable Download Now button for your files anywhere on your site.
- There is a shortcode to create a direct download link for a file. Useful for hotlinking.
- Download counters for each file.
- Ability to set download count offset for each file.
- Tracks the IP address of the user who downloaded your file.
- Tracks the date and time of each file download.
- Tracks the name of the user who downloaded the file.
- Option to set safe download for your file (download file URL will be hidden).
- Option to upload thumbnail images for each downloadable file.
- There are a variety of great templates for displaying a Download button.
- Ability to search and sort downloadable files in admin dashboard.
- Track the number of downloads for each of your files.
- Track visitor’s country.
- View the daily download count report.
- WordPress shortcode to embed the download link for the file.
- Tinymce button in the WordPress post / page editor so you can easily add shortcodes.
- You can customize the “Download Now” button text of the item to whatever you want.
- Ability to add a download now button to your sidebar widget.
- Create a download password protected now button. Users can only download files if they enter the correct password.
- Shortcode to display the download counter of a file.
- Shortcode to display all downloads from a certain category.
- Shortcodes to embed the file browser tree for downloadable files. The file browser is ajax based and it shows files structured by category.
- Ability to open downloads in a new browser window or tab. When the user clicks the download button, you will open a new window or tab.
- Ability to display your downloads in grid view.
- Export all download log files to CSV file.
- Ability to rearrange log entries.
- Shortcode to display the most recent downloads for your visitors.
- Ability to disable download monitoring (logging) for a specific item (or all items).
- Ability to only monitor downloads from unique IP addresses only.
- Option to display file size info so that it can be shown to your visitors.
- Option to display the info version number for the downloaded item so that it can be shown to your visitors.
- Option to limit downloads to logged in users only.
How to Use the Simple Download Monitor Plugin
To start creating a download website, please install the plugin Right here via your WordPress admin on the menu Plugins »Add New. Search for a plugin by typing the name “Simple Download Monitor” and installing the plugin.
Activate the plugin and you will see a new menu item added to the sidebar of your WordPress dashboard with the name “Downloads”. And please configure the plugin by going to the “Settings” menu.
On this settings page, there are several options such as hiding the count of files that have been downloaded, hiding the URL where the file is stored, activating the option for only registered users to download, log settings, download now and debug button template options. If you don’t want to make any changes to this part of the settings, you can leave the settings by default.
After the configuration on the settings page is complete, you can immediately start sharing your files for download by your visitors. The trick, please enter the menu Downloads »Add New.
On this page to add a download file you will see exactly the editor in the WordPress post. Please enter a title name for your download file in the Title field and type a description in the editor area below.
At the bottom of the editor area there is a “Download File” section, here you can enter the URL of the file to be downloaded, or retrieve the file from your WordPress Media site by clicking the “Select File” button and uploading the file if it is not already in your media library. . Uploading files is also as easy as uploading other files by drag and drop. If you have selected the file and click the “Insert” button, the URL column will be filled in according to the URL where your file is located.
In the “PHP Dispatch or Redirect” section, you can activate this option if you want to hide the URL of the download file from visitors, this is to secure the location of your file URL is stored.
In the “File Thumbnail” section you can attach a display image for your download file. This is the same way as when you want to add a download file by clicking the “Select Image” button, choose an image or upload it if it’s not in the media library and click the “Insert” button to install. This section is optional so you can leave it blank or install it.
In the “Statistics” section here you can see how many files have been downloaded and you can enter the total value for the Offset Count. At the bottom there is also an option to disable the login option for visitors who want to download files.
In the “Other Details” section, there are two columns where you can fill in the file size and version of the file you are sharing. This information will be displayed to your visitors so that they know the file size and version of the file.
In the “Shortcodes” section there are two shortcodes that you can use to display your downloaded files in various places. The first shortcode will display the number of files downloaded and the second will not display.
Then you can create categories and tags for your download files under the publsih button. This aims to classify your download files and make it easier to manage as well as make them more SEO Friendly. If everything is finished, you can immediately publish the downloaded file by clicking the “Publish” button.
As an example here I will try to install a download file in the WordPress post section. Please open an existing article or create a new one. Feel free to place the cursor in the area you want, it can be above the text, middle or bottom as you wish. And click the icon “SDM Downloads Monitor” it will bring up a popup for you to choose the title of the download file, the option to activate the fancy box, the color of the button and the option to open a new tab. If you have, please click the “Insert SDM Shortcode” button.
And now the downloaded file will be displayed on your article and ready to be downloaded by your visitors. The following is a display of the downloaded file displayed in the post.
You can also see a complete statistical report of your download file on the menu Downloads »Stats. There you can see report statistics displayed by date, monthly, yearly and download statistics by country.
Making website downloads or various files to your website visitors feels easier and faster with the Simple Download Monitor plugin completely free for you to download and use, even though this plugin is simple but has complete features and meets your needs for creating a downloadable website. The plugin also has clear and detailed statistical reports that make tracking easier. But unfortunately this plugin doesn’t have the features to sell digital goods and supports payment systems like other plugins.
And that’s my complete review of the Simple Download Monitor plugin, Hopefully this article is useful and provides a suitable solution for the choice of plugins for creating downloadable websites or sharing files with your website visitors. Good luck 🙂