How to Upload Microsoft Word Files to Google Docs – Google Docs is a free way to edit and read Microsoft Word documents online. Once your Word file is uploaded, you can read it, edit it, and share it with others from your Google account. It’s also a handy way to anytime access your Word documents from any place and from a variety of devices without having to carry around a flashdisk.
Why Google Docs is very practical is that files stored in Google Docs are stored in the cloud, documents can be accessed from any computer, as well as through the Android application or iOS application. In addition, if it is a shared assignment with your friends or an important file in your office, the file can be shared, viewed and edited by other people who you give permission, they can access the file online and from anywhere. In this guide, I will show you how to upload your Ms Word file to Google Docs.
This guide should work with versions of Microsoft Word that use the .docx format.
How to Upload a Word Document File to Google Drive
Google Docs is part of Google Drive, so you must upload document files to Google Drive first before you can use it in Google Docs.
1. Open Google Drive. If you see a button Go to Google Drive, press and sign in to your Google account.
2. Click New.
3. Select Upload files. To upload a folder containing multiple Word documents, select Upload folder As a replacement.
4. Navigate to the file or folder you wish to upload and select it Open. The upload process will start automatically.
How to Convert a Word Document File in Google Docs
Now that the Word file document has been uploaded to Google Drive, you can save it there for backup purposes or to share with others. However, to edit a Word document online with Google Docs, you have to convert it to a format that Google Docs can recognize.
1. Open Google Docs.
2. Double click Word document that you want to edit.
3. Select Google Docs from the Open With drop-down menu.
4. The .DOCX label next to the document name lets you know it in Microsoft Word format.
5. To convert the file, select File → Save as Google Docs. The new version of the document must open in a separate window. You should now have two versions of the file, the .DOCX one and the new Google Docs.
How to Download Edited Google Docs Files
When you need to download a file from Google Docs, you can do it from the document editing page.
1. Open Google Docs, then open the file you want to download. You can find out which documents are Google Docs files and which are still Microsoft Word documents by looking at the file extension. Google Docs files don’t have a file extension, so if there is a .DOCX or .DOC suffix after the file name, then that file hasn’t been converted to the Google Docs format (which means it’s not the file you edited in Google Docs).
2. Open File → Download as and select a file format. You can choose from formats like DOCX, ODT, RTF, PDF, EPUB and more.
3. Select the folder where the document should be saved. It can also download directly to your computer if you have specified a download folder for your browser.
4. Click Save.
Another quick way to download Word documents from Google Docs to your computer, is via Google Drive. Right-click the file and select Download.
And that’s the complete guide on how to upload Ms Word document files to Google Docs, now you can open, edit and share them with anyone online. Good luck 🙂