WhatsApp is a great messaging or messenger application with a number of features that are loved by users around the world including video calling (video call) and audio features. I use this feature every time I make a call and it works great, cheap and smooth.
But there is one feature that has been missing for a while and that is the Call Record feature. Of course, this feature is omitted because there is a main reason about surveillance, wiretapping and abuse concerns with the call recording feature, but sometimes we really need that call recording feature.
If you want to record WhatsApp video calls there are several ways you can do it and this also depends on the smartphone you are using.
Note: Make sure you’re not violating privacy or country laws by secretly recording calls. You also have to make an agreement in advance if it is really necessary to do the recording.
How to record WhatsApp video calls on Android and iPhone
Since the recording process for WhatsApp video calls is different for Android and iOS devices, I have created two tutorials for each of these operating systems separately. So please read carefully the guide below:
Record WhatsApp Video Calls on Android
WhatsApp Video Call recording does not work on every Android device. Some smartphone devices have VoIP call recording enabled and some devices do not. Please check this updated list (Register Supported HP) and check if your smartphone device is listed there.
If you don’t want to read the list of supported smartphone devices in that list, you can just follow the steps below and you will know whether your phone is supported or not. Also note that smartphone devices running on Android Pie OS may prevent recording due to OS level limitations.
1. Install the application Cube Call Recorder (free, and there is also a paid version). Swipe the button to grant all the necessary permissions and you can get started.
2. Now, open it WhatsApp and make a video call, a widget will appear on your screen indicating you are recording your WhatsApp call. If the widget doesn’t appear then tap the microphone icon manually in the Cube Call Recorder app. And after that, the app will start recording your video call.
3. In some cases the recording has no audio or cannot record the sound from the other side. To fix this problem, tap on the hamburger menu (≡) and go to “Recording“. Change “VoIP recording audio source“To”Microphone“. Note that it will also activate the loudspeaker.
Apart from WhatsApp video calls, you can use this app to record cell phone calls as well. In my testing, WhatsApp call recording worked flawlessly, both on Mi A1 and Redmi Note 6 Pro android smartphone devices, without changing the default settings.
Recording WhatsApp Calls on iPhone
iOS is pretty strict when it comes to privacy, so there’s no easy way to record a call be it a WhatsApp or cellular call. However, there are hacks that make this work, but it takes a lot of steps and other tools. This is a tedious process where you will need a Mac, iPhone and secondary smartphone with a WhatsApp account. The secondary device can be either Android or iPhone. I need a secondary device because your primary device will stay connected to your Mac for recording.
1. Connect your iPhone to the MacOS computer and grant the necessary permissions. Now, open it QuickTime and click on the File menu. Here, select “New Audio Recording“, Select your iPhone as the source, and click the button”Record“.
2. From your iPhone, make a WhatsApp call to your secondary WhatsApp device. Once connected, use WhatsApp’s group calling feature to add the person you want to talk to.
3. Now continue the conversation using the secondary device. Once you are done with the conversation, stop recording in Quicktime and save it on your Mac OS computer.
Note: Stay connected with iPhone to Mac during the conversation. All three WhatsApp numbers must be active in group calls. Disconnecting any of the devices can prevent the recording process.
Record Your WhatsApp Video Calls
As you can see, it is not easy to record calls on the WhatsApp application. With tighter privacy controls, I can only assume that it will become more difficult in the future.
For iOS devices it has made it nearly impossible to record calls and for Android devices it is also slowly moving in the same direction as iOS so that it cannot record calls. This is done because there will be more negative effects and abuse than the positive side.
And that’s my short guide on how to record WhatsApp video calls on Android and iOS, hopefully this article is useful and use it wisely for important purposes not harmful abuse.