WhatsApp is currently the most used messaging or chat smartphone application with more than 1 billion active users that is easy to use and of course free. For privacy, users may want to hide certain chats or conversations but don’t want to delete them.
The WhatsApp application now has a setting that allows you to hide chats or chats on WhatsApp. In this article, I will share the steps for hiding chat messages on Android, iOS and Windows phones. After the chats are hidden, you can also show the hidden chats again when you want. Here I will also share a guide to restore hidden chats.
Apart from that, if you want to lock WhatsApp completely with a password instead of just hiding certain chats, then I have also shared certain apps which are useful for locking apps. Depending on your smartphone being Android or iPhone (jailbreak or not) the applications you will need will be different.
Hide Chats On WhatsApp
Hide WhatsApp conversations with the help of the feature used to archive chats. To archive chats, follow the guide below depending on the OS used by your smartphone.
How to Hide WhatsApp Chat Messages on iPhone
- Open your “WhatsApp” application
- On the chat screen swipe left for the contact whose chat you want to hide
- Select “Archive”
- When you select Archive conversation from your selected contact or group, it will be deleted or hidden from the main chat screen that appears when you open WhatsApp.
- Your archived conversations are moved to the Archived Chats folder which can be viewed by swiping up on the main chat screen where the chats of all contacts are listed.
- You can also hide group chats by following a similar procedure for your groups on WhatsApp. To view the chats that you have hidden or archived select Archived Chats and you will be able to see the chats of the contacts or groups that you have hidden.
- You can also archive / hide all chats by going to Settings → Chats and choose Archive All Chats.
Show Hidden Chats – Undo Archive In iPhone
- Swipe up on the main chat screen where all chats are listed. Select “Archive” Chats. Here the chats that are archived / hidden are listed.
- Swipe left on the chat of the contact you want to show back on the main chat screen.
- Select “Cancel Filing”.
- Chats of contacts that you unarchived will start to appear on the main chat screen and will no longer be hidden.
How to Hide WhatsApp Chats on Android
The procedure is more or less the same for Android and Windows phones to hide chats on WhatsApp with different options in slightly different places.
For example, on Android, you need to long press on a chat contact to get the Archive option (marked with Red) instead of swiping the screen left as in the case of iPhone.
Bring up the WhatsApp Chat on Android
- Scroll to the bottom of the WhatsApp chat screen where all conversations are displayed. Select “Archive Chat”.
- All archived chats will be displayed. Long press on the conversation contact you want to unarchive and select the “Unarchive” icon at the top (second from right) as shown in the image below.
- After this, the chat will be shown again on the main screen along with other chats.
You can also archive multiple contacts at once.
Archive Multiple Chats at Once on WhatsApp
For iPhone / iPad
- Open WhatsApp and click Edit at the top left of the screen where all the conversations appear.
- Select multiple chats which you want to hide / archive.
- After selecting the chats you want, tap on Archive at the bottom left.
- Open WhatsApp and long press the contact.
- Select the contacts you want to hide and select the Archive icon.
With this, you have archived multiple chats at once.
Note: Archived chats will be moved to the main chat screen as soon as a message is received from that group or contact and the same thing happens when you send a message to a group or an incoming chat contacts you on an archived or hidden contact, making the chat no longer hidden or will reappear.
So, if you want to circumvent the above restriction methods or if you want to lock WhatsApp yourself instead of hiding chats individually, then follow the method below.
Application To Lock WhatsApp
You can use the application “Messenger and Chat LockAvailable on the Play Store for free to lock WhatsApp. Here’s how to use it.
- First of all, you need to set a passcode that will be used as a passcode for the app to open it.
- After you set the password, a screen will appear where you can lock the apps you want. All apps are unlocked by default.
- Toggle the switch to ON for WhatsApp as shown.
Once you have done this, when you open WhatsApp, it will ask for a password.
Unfortunately, there is no direct way to lock WhatsApp on iPhone. That said, you can always use a solution similar to what is provided by the following application named “Password for WhatsApp Message”. It will make a copy of your WhatsApp messages, photos & videos and then lock it with a password. You can get this app from the App Store for $ 0.99.
If you have a jailbroken iPhone then you are in luck. There is a “ConvoProtect” tweak available on the Cydia store for $ 2. This tweak is just what you need to use to protect your chats from other people reading them.
Hopefully this method allows you to hide WhatsApp message chats or lock them all together on Android or iPhone. If you know of a better app for Android or any free app to lock WhatsApp chat on iPhone, please share it via the comments section.