Have you ever tried to install, update or start a program or file, did you receive a notification or an error message like this? “Windows Cannot Access the Specified device, path, or file”, that means you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
It is very confusing if a message or notification suddenly appears like that, and what about the problem and the cause. Many factors cause Windows unable to access a file or folder that you want to go to. Here I summarize the reasons and how to deal with Windows Cannot Access
Windows Cannot Access Reasons
In general, there are various reasons for this Windows problem cannot access the specified device. Here are some reasons why:
- Antivirus software that blocks these files.
- The file is damaged, hidden, or deleted by antivirus.
- Shortcuts or shortcut broken program.
- Windows has blocked the file.
- Or it could be that you don’t have permission to access the item because you are not an Administrator.
- The files are located in places that are inaccessible to us such as on a network location or on an external drive that is not currently connected to our device.
Of course there are many other reasons that can cause Windows Cannot Access the specified device, path, or file notification problems. While the most important thing right now is how to solve Windows cannot access which is a problem today. What are they? consider some of the ways that I wrote below.
How to Overcome Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device Path or File
To solve this problem, you can follow several solutions which you can try one by one. If the first method or solution on your laptop didn’t work, move on to try the next method or solution.
1. Change File / Folder Permissions
Note : Make sure you are an Administrator or you are part of the Domain Admins group. If you are not an Administrator on the file or folder, replace it by following these steps:
- Right click on the file or folder to select and select Properties
- Select a column Security, then click your name to see the permissions you have. Then select the menu Edit
- Select the column for the permissions to be checked as you need, then select it OK.
2. Check File Location
This problem you can get maybe because of shortcuts or shortcuts and the installation tries to access a location that is not currently available.
Try to check the path of the file that Windows can’t access and make sure the location is accessible.
3. Turn off Antivirus and Unlock Files
You can check to see if your antivirus software or software is blocking a file by temporarily disabling it and then trying to open the file.
If you have to disable antivirus software for the time being, you should re-enable it as soon as you are done.
If your laptop is connected to the Internet while your antivirus software is disabled, laptop will be vulnerable to attacks by viruses or other malware.
However, I do not recommend this step to solve Windows cannot access.
But if you think the file is really safe, give it a try. With a note I am not responsible if your important files can be infected with a virus.
4. Recover Deleted / Damaged Files
Windows will not be able to access the specified device path or file if the file is deleted or hidden by antivirus. In a situation like this, you can recover data to solve this problem.
To recover lost data, you can make use of software or best software to recover data According to you.
5. Unblock Files
In some cases, the file you are going to might be blocked by Windows.
Check the properties of your file, there may be a note that says this file is from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.
To check and unblock files by site Thelastsurvivors, follow the steps below:
- Right-click the blocked file and select Properties.
- Select the General menu, then Unblock if this option is available.
- If not, use another method because some types of laptops or computers are not available this way
6. Create another Shortcut File
If the shortcut or other type of file is damaged, you can check the shortcut for damage by re-creating the shortcut.
Surely you already know not how to create or delete shortcuts. Here’s how to add shortcuts in a youthful way:
- Open the Windows view.
- Select the File or Icon you choose to create a shortcut for.
- Click and hold, then drag it towards the desktop and let go.
- After that, please try to run the shortcut file by double clicking
It’s best to keep your laptop or computer as good as possible, and in my opinion, don’t use pirated software. Because pirated software can make windows damaged.
In my opinion this problem is actually easy, but because many people are unfamiliar with this problem, so I took the initiative to make this article.
The point of all the discussion above is that we only have to restore the location of the lost file, folder, or device.
If you feel that the method that has been presented above has not been successful, do not hesitate to ask in the comments column that has been provided. Thank you for visiting and hopefully useful.