Effective Ways to Disable or Disable Windows 10 Updates – Microsoft’s decision to push updates or updates regularly to Windows computers with Windows 10 is laudable as this did not happen with previous versions of Windows. However, Windows 10’s updates have become so frequent that they are now seen as a nuisance. Combine the update frequency with the fact that Windows automatically starts installing updates randomly and you have a lot of trouble.
Honestly, here I feel that I hate the new Windows 10 update so much that I’m looking for a way to stop it. If you’re also frustrated by the constant Windows 10 updates, here is how you can disable or disable Windows 10 updates so they don’t hinder your work.
How Does the Windows 10 Update Work?
Before you see how you can disable or disable Windows 10 updates, let’s first find out how it works. Windows has something called an Orchestrator which schedules and downloads updates. Before installing the update, the Orchestrator is required to get approval from the admin and further verify group policy. I have seen all kinds of tutorials with how to change group policy to prevent Windows updates. But Microsoft Windows changed its own group policy so Windows could still install and install updates.
Now this is a simplification of what’s really going on because I don’t want to go into too many technical details. But, I hope this has helped you see why Windows 10 updates are such a big deal. Now let’s disable Windows 10 updates completely.
Disable Windows 10 updates with SimpleWall
To prevent Windows updates, we are going to use a basic application called SimpleWall. What SimpleWall does is block internet access from Windows applications and services. This app uses Window’s native Filtering Platform (WFP) to monitor network activity and block apps and services. This method is quite simple, which is to prevent Windows from updating services to access the internet and you won’t have any annoying updates. Here are the steps you need to enable SimpleWall to stop Windows 10 updates.
1. Download SimpleWall (free) here, install it on your PC computer, and grant the necessary permissions. I have tested the app extensively and it is completely safe. Now launch the app and it will launch with the selected service which you have to block to stop Windows 10 update.
2. Here, click the button “Enable Filtering“.
3. Next, click the button “Whitelist (allow selected)“. This will disable the native Windows Firewall and create a custom Firewall. You may receive a warning to enable Windows Firewall, just ignore it. Now, all Windows update services will be blocked because they can’t access the internet.
4. Note that after you block this service, you can start receiving notifications to allow or block internet access for various applications and services. Initially, you may get multiple notifications at once because all of these services want to connect to the internet. Prevent all notifications specifically from “svchost“And tick”disable notifications for this app“.
5. You can also enable SimpleWall to start automatically after each restart so you don’t have to manually launch applications every time you start your PC. To do that, go to “Settings“And then activate the option”Load on System Startup“And”Minimized start“.
Some Things You Need to Remember
While the above steps are sufficient to block Windows 10 updates. There are a few things to keep in mind if you don’t want to have problems later on.
- You have to give administrator permission every time the PC restarts.
- You may face problems connecting with local computers on your network. To solve this, click on the “Disable Filtering” option in the application and it will restore Windows Firewall.
- This app not only blocks Windows 10 update service but also blocks other important services that you use.
- You have to be vigilant when faced with “app wants to connect with internet” notifications. For example, say you want to allow Cortana or Edge to connect to the internet if you use them. Make sure to allow Windows Defender service (msmpeng.exe) as it will keep your PC safe.
Remove Windows 10 Update Notifications
So that’s how I disabled Windows 10 updates which was totally annoying. I would recommend that you use this method only if you know what you are doing because SimpleWall can block all applications that access the internet. However, it can be a powerful tool as it will allow you to block tracking services, Microsoft telemetry services, and any other application that you want to block.
However, if you don’t know what you’re doing, you might end up blocking important services that might hinder your Windows experience. So, make sure you know what you are doing before you start blocking the services provided by Windows.