3 Ways to Sign PDF Files on Computers and Smartphones – PDF stands for (Portable Document Format) or Portable Document File. As the name suggests, PDF is a faster and simpler way of documentation that is also independent of any hardware and can be used and read with different platforms.
In our daily lives, surely we often receive e-mails accompanied by important documents, both documents in the form of contracts or registration forms in PDF format files. And from those files there may be several PDF files that need to be signed.
However, for those who don’t know how to sign a PDF file, they think that to sign the contents of the PDF file they must first print or print the file and then sign it, and then scan again and re-upload or share. Well, of course this process will take a little longer and also go through several processes, especially if you don’t have a printer and scanning tool, of course it will be very troublesome.
Now to sign PDF files is very easy, you can do it on various devices at the same time be it on your computer or on your Android Smartphone or iPhone device. This way, you don’t need any special hardware for electronic signing. Easy to apply and verify your identity. There are an innumerable number of apps on the Play Store and App Store for Android and iOS, some of which are free while others are paid. Here I have handpicked the best based on my experience after trying them.
Benefits of Electronic PDF Signatures
Using a PDF signing app for digital documents via handwritten signature is always easy and saves time. It does not require paper and ink and is very easy to do and does not require time and convoluted processes, besides that using the PDF file method can also help reduce waste and also save costs.
With an electronic signature, you can avoid the process of printing a digital copy of a document, signing it with a pen, and then re-scanning to upload.
How to Sign PDF Files on Computer
The first thing I will explain is how to sign a PDF file on a computer device. To do this, you don’t need to install any specific software and only use the online services from the Smallpdf website.
Smallpdf has a very complete online service related to PDF files such as Compress, Convert, lock files, digital signatures and many more.
1. First you have to visit the Smallpdf site to sign here → eSign SmallPdf.
2. There will be two columns listed and select “Sign a Document” on the right.
3. Upload your PDF files from your computer or from Cloud Storage such as Google Drive and Dropbox.
4. Select the “Place Signature” menu to sign, there are 3 options “draw” to create a handwritten signature, “Upload” to upload a signature in the form of an existing image, and “Camera” to take a signature via the camera. on the paper that you have signed. If you select “Draw” then you can create a signature by moving your mouse. You can also add additional text to the pdf file.
5. Position the signature to your liking and click the “Finish” button then “Download” the signed file.
How to Sign PDF Files on Smartphones
For this next tutorial, I will cover two applications which you will use to sign PDF files on your Smartphone. This application is available on Android and iPhone.
App 1: Using Adobe Fill & Sign
2. Open the application and tap “Select a Form to fill out” and select PDF File to upload the document into the application from your phone memory. Select the desired PDF file.
3. Tap on the document file that you just uploaded into the application, it will look like the image below. The file will open in full-scale view once you click it.
4. You can then tap the signature field or anywhere you want in the PDF. With this, your keyboard will appear on your mobile screen. Now, type your name in the signature field.
5. If you want to use a handwritten signature then you have to select the ink pen icon at the top and select “Create Signature”.
6. A popup screen will appear called “Place Signature”. Here, use your finger or a stylus to give your signature. Tap on “Done” to save it.
7. Now, tap on the pen icon and select the signature created in the above step. This will add a signature to the document. You can resize and move them by dragging and dropping them to the desired position.
It is also possible to delete signatures and add new ones if needed.
The advantages of this application are
- Free for iOS and Android platforms.
- Minimalist User Interface.
- These apps are very light and usually don’t take up much memory.
- Allows you to adjust the font size according to the user’s perspective.
- Apart from PDF, you can also use it for image files.
- For certain fields, you can long press to add a notation.
App 2: Using DocuSign
The second is to use the DocuSign application which you can install from the Play Store or App Store, and follow the steps below.
Note: In this app, I can’t take screenshots for steps because of its security policy.
1. When you open the application, you will be asked to log in, you can log in manually with your email id or you can use your Facebook or Yahoo account. After logging in, you will be given an activation link in each of your email id, click on the link and complete the activation.
2. On the app homepage you will find the “Quick Actions” section. Below that, click on “Create Your Signature” and you will get two options. You can “Draw your Signature” or “Take a picture of your signature”. Choose what you want.
3. When selecting the drawing option, you will be presented with a blank window. Here you can use your finger or a stylus to give your signature. Tap the tick icon at the top right to save the signature. If you select a picture then you will get the option to take a picture of your sign.
3. The electronic signature, which you provide in the application will be saved, and you can use it in any document you open in DocuSign.
4. Now open the app’s home screen and click on the plus button (+) to add a PDF and select the desired file. You must select one file at a time.
5. After you select the file, you will find the “SIGN NOW” button. Click on that button and your PDF document will be viewed in full-scale view, you can then tap on specific fields to add a signature and other details.
6. To finish with your document, press the “Done” button, it will ask you if you want to share the document after signing. If you Select “Share”, then you can share files to share via Email, Drive, Bluetooth, and WhatsApp as well.
- Saves your e-signature, so you don’t have to register for each time a new document is uploaded.
- You can also use this application as a PDF reader.
- Very safe.
The basic electronic signature does not have digital cryptographic protection, so there is no guarantee or solid evidence to prove who signed the document. This app allows users to sign various low-level contracts, receipts from online shops but they are not so much secured and cannot be used as the main source of confirmation for large services like banking or business deals between two companies etc. Document authentication is also not verified.
However, this e-signature will save you a lot of time and paper waste if you want to quickly sign a registration or some other similar form that can pass without a lot of verification and don’t require high security.