3 Ways to Compress PDF Files to Shrink Size – The main purpose of reducing or shrinking the size of all file types is to save less data in the end to save file storage space. In addition, reducing the file size also makes it easier for us to speed up transfers when sent via email, speed up the upload, download process, save bandwidth and much more.
Speaking of PDF files, you can also optimize them by compressing them. This compression process will shrink the file size without losing the data in it or having to create another PDF file. Previously, the Adobe Acrobat software also had a feature to compress PDF files, but now that option is no longer available and is only available in the premium version.
In this article, I’m going to show you a few ways that will allow you to shrink PDF file size in no time on Windows PC as well as macOS. You can even compress PDF files on any OS with just a few clicks using the second and third methods. So let’s read this article further to follow the process easily.
How to Compress PDF Files to Shrink Size
There are various online tools and websites that provide file compression services to shrink the size of any PDF file. Here I have chosen to use the Soda PDF software because it has an application for PC and a Chrome extension that is directly installed on the browser. And what you need to know is that Soda PDF has tons of useful tools to compress files not only for PDFs but also for various types of images. You can use this tool for free online or offline.
Apart from that, there is also another online service tool which has the same function which is PDF Resizer which will not only compress but also resize the page of the PDF file to shrink it and optimize its size.
Method 1 – Using a PC Application (Offline)
1. You can visit the official website Soda PDF to download the desktop application. After downloading and installing.
2. Now open any PDF file which you want to compress using Soda PDF application. Click the “File” menu in the upper left corner of the toolbar.
3. This will open the Tool menu. In this section please select the “Compress” menu.
4. After this, it will ask you to select the quality of the PDF file. The files and images in the PDF will be resized for the quality you choose.
5. After selecting the output quality, select “Compress” over this option. It will then show the file size after which it will be compressed, click “Save”.
6. After this, you will be asked to select the location where you will save the file. Select the desired location and select “Save”. And now you have successfully compressed PDF file and reduced its size.
Method 2 – Soda PDF Chrome Extension
1. You can download the Chrome extension for Soda PDF by visiting the following link → Soda PDF Extension.
2. Now, click on the icon and select “Click to Open Services”. This will load a new web page with various options. From here select the “COMPRESS PDF” menu.
3. Then it will ask you to browse and select a PDF file from the system that you want to compress. Click “BROWSE” and once you have selected the desired file, click on “COMPRESS FILE”.
4. After that, it will start compressing the file and shows the progress bar for the compression process.
5. Once the compression is done and it reaches 100% you can download the compressed PDF file and then use it as per your need.
Method 3 – Compress And Resize PDF Online With PDF Resizer
1. Please visit the website PDF Resizer using any web browser. It has various options, from there choose Optimize PDF to compress PDF and Resize PDF to change the dimensions of PDF files and pages without losing quality.
2. In both tabs you have to select the “Browse” button to select the file, find the PDF file you want to compress or resize and select “Upload”.
3. Now, under the “Resize PDF to Resolutions” option, you can change the PDF resolution and page size according to your needs. Once satisfied, you can choose “Looks Good, Do the Magic!”.
This will apply the settings you changed to the PDF file.
3. Then select the tab menu “Optimize” to optimize your PDF file. And click the “Optimize PDF!” Button. This process will compress the size of your PDF file.
4. You can then use the resize or optimize options until you reach the desired file size you need after compressing.
5. After the PDF file is reduced to the required size, simply click “Download” to save the file to your PC and you’re done.
Well, this is the simplest method for compressing and resizing PDF files. By compressing it will be easy to share files online with other users. You can also use these tools to convert PDF to other file formats, combine or share them and some other PDF customization options.
Please choose some of the methods above that are the easiest and most you like to reduce the size of your PDF file. Good luck and good luck. 🙂